Saturday, August 3, 2013

No tachimukau

Hello dear ones! 

First, thank you so much for making my birthday a truly remarkable one!  I loved the package, notes, thought, cake that you made and enjoyed, and CUTE card.  LOVED THEM.  I love you all so much and am grateful that I get to share my life with you all and learn from your examples and strength.  Thank you. 



On a lighter note, I hope you sang some T Swizzle for me about being two decades and two years.   ;)   Mmhmm, and maybe had a little dance party too--or did some yoga or swimming or running through sprinklers for me.  On Saturday or Monday of course. 

I SO enjoyed reading your thoughts and letters this week.  Seriously, if I didn't have the timer at the top right of the screen telling me how much time I had left, I would probably just sit and read, re-read, and relish them.  And draw attention to myself by laughing--I love reading what you say and imagining how everything you describe happened.  Also. thank you for the pictures and I'm glad thae ones I sent last week were mission ones.  Thank you for keeping me posted on the haps at home.  Sounds like you are all living up this summer time goodness!  Enjoy it.  :)

This week presented more of the same goodness and a little more challenge this week--Japanese is beautiful yet challenging and figuring out how to stay focused and not get carried away laughing when your district starts a dinosuar noise making contest is tougher than I thought. 
Still, its truly wonderful, and I mean that.  As I was bearing testimony about the Savior in one of our lessons this week, the Spirit confirmed the truth of the words I was saying, no matter how clumsily I expressed them, and helped me to realize more fully that this gospel is true--no matter what language it is in.  Ahh, it was such a beautiful tender mercy that I appreciated so much.  I'm not sure our investigator or my companion felt the same way, but if not, it was a real blessing for me. 

I'm glad that the Macdonalds have little Susana Amanda around their house these days!  WOO-HOO for little ones!  Thanks for letting me know--it brings me a lot of joy.

OK, the rest of this week kind of feels like a blur so I think I can deliver on the promise to describe the people in my district a little more.  If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me!  When I write these emails, sometimes I feel like my mind goes blank and I don't know quite what to relate.  As my companion says, its almost like an exam.  Though not as stressful.  :)
These descriptions will probably be short and sweet because I still need to find photos to attach.  Sorry! 

Elder Johnson--He's from Kayesville, Utah, tall and loves basketball, is really kind, genuine, and capable, though maybe a little unsure of himself.  He plays the piano so well and plays the drums even better and pats out rhythms without really thinking about it.    
Elder Baker--Our district leader, but he doesn't take himself too seriously, loves fishing, often sings (and in that way reminds me of our cousin Aaron).  He hails from California.
Elder Wineagar--From Rexburg, played football in high school, loves wakeboarding and snowboarding, makes one of the best Pterodactyl noises I've ever heard, is really open with our district and likes to have fun.
Elder Hawkes--The artist behind whatever drawings are on our whiteboard, Elder Hawkes is funny, earnest in trying to learn how to be a missionary and speak Japanese, and from Bountiful.  He knew our teacher before he came to the MTC and so they sometimes reminisce about people and the high school sports teams, which is always kind of fun to be a part of.
Elder Wiley--Tall, dark hair, a fan of Anime and knowledgeable about Japanese.  While a little tentative sometimes, he is so considerate and thoughtful.
Elder Poff--From Oregon, Elder Poff is a truly talented pianist and pretty laid back, easygoing personality.  He did a year of BYU before coming to the MTC and often talks about his experiences there. 
Elder Hamblin--A hard and thoughtful worker, from Roosevelt, UT (along with a few of the Japanese teachers here).  He has real dedication to doing hard things--whether they be physical or mental.
Elder Chun--An energetic and comic storyteller.  He's from Orem and often jokes about his being half Asian (Korean), but is really thoughtful and sincere at the same time.  He and his companion (Simmons choro) walk us sisters back to our residence every night. 
Elder Simmons-- A quiet but powerful missionary, Elder Simmons knows a lot of Japanese and can usually answer just about any question you put to him.  He's quite patient and subtly funny, which gives our district a good balance. 


  

OK.  I am nearly out of time for today.  I hope that gives you a taste of what life is like with those shimai and choro.  Its pretty fantastic.  Thank you so much for your prayers, thoughts, and love.  I feel them and echo them back to you.  LOVE YOU ALL TO THE MOON AND BACK!

Williams shimai (aka Lindsay--its kind of funny to see my first name, but its still who I am, eh?) 

PS--No tachimukau means to overcome--which is something that I feel I am learning more and more about here.  And its a really, really great word.  Sounds like ( no touchie moo cow).  YES!  I laughed the first time I heard it.   



No comments:

Post a Comment

Another Witness

One of my favorite ideas to discuss with people is how God shows up unexpectedly in their lives. Whether its new thought while being still, ...