Saturday, August 10, 2013

Another One Coming Your Way!


I love my district, I really do.  It surprises me how well I know, love, and appreciate them and I think that will only grow stronger in the remaining time I have here at the MTC.  Woot!  I do have to think a little more before I write in English--no pontificating or fancy words (other than that one) from me these days!  I embrace the idea of making errors in my spelling and grammar because the requirement now is to be a speedy typer to try and get it all out!  Well, I probably still will be pretty conscious of how my words sound and look like, the emails will just be stream of consciousness--as that last sentence pretty much was. 

ANYHOW,  this week has been great.  I feel like I am learning how to be humble a lot more--more willing to make mistakes in speaking so that I may learn from them--and more accepting of myself and people as we are and of hoping for/working for/encouraging for who we may become through the Atonement of Jesus Christ.  It is so cool, the doctrine of sacrifice, service, refining, chastening, and becoming.  I am learning more and more how to love and relish and seek these things. 

Ahh, this world!  Is it not beautiful?! (Apparently this grammar pattern is used a lot in Japan.  Sweet, eh?) 

Do you remember how my setting apart talked about me helping people with the language?  It is happening and I love it.  Every time I work on a translation or grammar principle or word recognition with someone, my mind goes back to that and I am gently yet powerfully reminded of God's awareness of us and how He can use us when we are willing.  It is AWESOME.  Such a gift, blessing, and responsibility! 

The theme for this week seemed to be preparation.  Preparing to teach, preparing to serve, preparing for lessons, preparing plans for study time, preparing plans for each day, etc.  This focus encouraged me to reflect on my own preparation for a mission.  For me, my preparation, like my decision to serve, was really gradual but also really generous.  I've thought a lot about how serving a mission, teaching, learning Japanese, and so many other experiences here have felt so natural or logical.  It is mind blowing and spirit lifting.  I've also reflected on how the Spirit works logically and reasonably.  We had Elder Jay E. Jensen come speak at the Tuesday devotional this week and he talked about teaching by the Spirit, how it is "presenting well what is planned, following reason and logic, speaking convincingly in a normal voice, and departing from the plan (as the exception  not the rule).  This way teaching by the Spirit starts with preparing with/by the Spirit.  It helped me realize how focused we need to be in this work, at every stage in it.  Sometimes, to be honest, it is really wearying.  BUT, the Lord strengthens us so that we can do it and help others come unto Christ.  It is so cool, dear reader.  So beautiful! 

Also, one of our teachers was out of town this week (and a description of teachers is coming soon, I promise.  They are wonderful.) and so we had a substitute teacher.  And he was FROM JAPAN!  Ahh!  This might sound kind of weird  but I was just fascinated by his Japanese-ness, listening closely to how he spoke, his mannerisms, his descriptions of Japan (our district plied him with questions, including "Are there ninjas in Japan?").  It was like a taste of what is to come.  I love Japanese people.  I am so excited to serve among them, to talk with them, learn with them, love them, and serve them.  It is thrilling.  I love the MTC and am happy to stay here (yay for practice and learning!) but I am looking forward to the time where I will go there. 

So, so, so much love,

Williams shimai

PS--HAPPY BIRTHDAY SOON STEPH! YOU WILL BE ABLE TO ENTER SWEEPSTAKES AND DO SO MUCH MORE.  WOO-HOOO! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Another Witness

One of my favorite ideas to discuss with people is how God shows up unexpectedly in their lives. Whether its new thought while being still, ...