Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Light and Water

These are two of my favorite things on this planet.  So vital to our life, so ordinary and simple and constant, yet so beautiful and enriching and just so good.  I just realized the other day how connected they are; that is, how intertwined they are in our language.  The way we describe light is usually in images that involve water.  Bathe.  Filter.  Reflect.  Stream.  Pour.  Flood.  Seep.  And I imagine that other words for water would work just as splendidly with light.  Words like trickle, bubble, and others that just sort of slip from my attention right now.  So cool.

Oh and also, I failed to complete the haiku group by leaving out winter.  My apologies.  I do love winter, with its crispness, clarity, and cold that coaxes us outside to play and then eventually prods us race back home, eagerly anticipating warmth.  Somehow I feel like the constraints of a haiku may not fully express everything about you.  Anyhow.  Here's to you, winter.

Snowfall.  Quiet, still.
It envelops, yet sharpens,
Ladens every branch.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Another Witness

One of my favorite ideas to discuss with people is how God shows up unexpectedly in their lives. Whether its new thought while being still, ...